SELF HELP GRAPHICS & ART IS Hiring paid summer interns
Self Help graphics isn't currently hiring full or part-time, but we always appreciate volunteers!
Please see our volunteer page to get started.
Mission: Founded in 1970 in the heart of East Los Angeles, Self Help Graphics & Art is dedicated to the production, interpretation, and distribution of prints and other art media by Chicana/o and Latinx artists. Our multi-disciplinary, inter-generational programs promote artistic excellence and empower our community by providing access to space, tools, training, and capital.
Values: Spirituality and creative heart, social consciousness, integrity, inclusivity, accessibility, and innovation.
*** APPLICATION DEADLINE: MAY 1, 2018, 5PM (PST)***
Getty Multicultural Internship #1: Documentation and Archives Internship
Self Help Graphics & Art is seeking qualified undergraduate students for its Documentation and Archives Internship position. The position will assist in developing and organizing Self Help Graphics & Art's (SHG) print inventory and in researching and curating our 45th Annual exhibition, the 45th Annual Día de los Muertos celebration / exhibition and the Annual Print Fair. The goal of the internship will be to assist SHG with documenting and archiving print inventory, art works or ephemera we may receive on loan for the exhibitions, in addition to managing and cataloguing images on our database. The intern will also gain experience in the proper handling of prints and curation of print sales.
The Documentation and Archives Intern will assist in the development and organization of Self Help Graphics & Art's (SHG) print inventory.
Duties will include:
- Organizing on-site and off-site print inventory
- Transferring information from each print's Certificate of Authenticity into a digital database
- Photographing and color correcting images of prints
- Creating marketing documents or tear-sheets for print sales, print ateliers, special projects, and current partnerships
- Managing a primary art database with information regarding art work, artists, and collectors (internal systems)
- Creating digital content / photography of prints for a shopping cart on SHG's website (accessibility / earned income)
- Collecting digital content / photography of prints for our official archive at CEMA (accessibility)
The goal of the Documentation and Archives Internship will be to assist in developing SHG's electronic database for archivist purposes. The development of digital archives will serve to launch an online platform to generate print sales and increase earned income sources while broadening our market.
Getty Multicultural Internship #2: Communications Internship
Self Help Graphics & Art is seeking qualified undergraduate students for its Communications Internship position, which will assist with day-to-day communications and outreach. The communications intern will assist in carefully crafting messaging regarding cultural events, educational workshops and exhibitions for our 2018 program. In 2018 we will celebrate our 45th Día de los Muertos event, showcase our 45th Anniversary exhibition and season of programs in partnership with Cal State University Los Angeles and host our annual print fair. The goal of the internship will be to assist SHG with connecting audiences to the institution through marketing and public relations via our website and social media platforms.
The Communications Intern will assist in the development of a campaign that crafts messaging around our cultural events, exhibitions, artists and community members actively working with the organization. The Intern will also create press releases, summaries and slogans for our upcoming 45th Anniversary exhibition, 45th Día de los Muertos celebration / exhibition, and assist in promoting and organizing the Annual Print Fair. Communications will be shared with our community online via our website and our social media platforms.
Duties will include:
- Content development, compiling and distributing images online, text or video anecdotes, etc.
- Creating new innovative messaging for our 45th Día de los Muertos Celebration and exhibition
- Researching and collecting information for images in SHG’s prints archives to be used in digital campaigns in preparation for our 45th Anniversary exhibition and season of programs in partnership with Cal State University Los Angeles, and Annual Print Fair
- Researching SHG’s history to create accurate communications and slogans for the 45th Annual Exhibition
- The Communications Intern will also provide support for current communications initiatives in collaboration with SHG staff
Duration of Internship
The internship is a full-time (40 hours/week) position, with a salary of $5,500, for a consecutive ten-week work period between June 4 and August 24, 2018.
- Strong grasp of Microsoft office, Adobe and Photoshop
- Excellent research and writing skills; ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Must be organized and detailed oriented
- Able to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Be of African American, Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Native American, or Pacific Islander descent;
- Be currently enrolled undergraduates. Students must have completed at least one semester of college by June 2013, and those who will complete their degree by September 1, 2013 are also eligible to apply; (Students who are enrolled in a second BA or BS program are not eligible.)
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident.
Please note that students who have previously served as a Getty Multicultural Summer Intern at SHG or who have served as such at more than two other organizations are not eligible for consideration. SHG staff members and relatives of staff or board members are not eligible for these internships.
Candidates from all areas of undergraduate study will be considered and are not required to have demonstrated a previous commitment to the visual arts.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Joel Garcia, Joel.Garcia (at) selfhelpgraphics.com with "Getty Internship" in the subject line to apply.